FOR PEACH FILLING
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, cold, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp. ice water, plus more as needed
- 3 lb. peaches (about 8 peaches)
- 3 tbsp. bourbon
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch kosher salt
- Melted butter, for brushing
- Turbinado sugar, for topping
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter, using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until the size of walnuts. Keep tossing butter to ensure it stays coated in flour. Add vinegar and 6 tablespoons ice water and toss to combine. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together when squeezed. Mixture should be moist and hold together easily, but not wet and sticky.
- Dump mixture onto counter and divide into 2 equal pieces. Flatten each piece into a disk and smooth it until there are no cracks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Flour a work surface and let pie crusts sit out at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before rolling out. Roll out each pie crust to about 12”. Place one crust into a 9” pie tin and gently press the side down to make sure there are no gaps. Place second pie crust flat onto a cutting board. Refrigerate both crusts for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make filling: Peel half of the peaches, or all if desired, then slice into ½” slices and place in a large bowl. Add bourbon, sugars, cornstarch, lemon zest, spices, and a large pinch of salt. Toss to coat peaches and let sit at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425° with a large sheet tray or baking steel in the oven. Pour peaches into pie tin with all of the juices. Arrange peaches so that they are in an even layer with minimal gaps. Place top crust on top and use kitchen shears to trim edges to only have a ½” overhang. Go around the edges and pinch the the bottom and top crust together, then tuck crust in so that the edge is flush with the edge of the pie plate. Crimp edges as desired. Cut 4 small slits into center of top crust. Brush top crust with melted butter and sprinkle all over with turbinado sugar. Refrigerate 30 minutes to chill crust again.
- Carefully remove hot baking sheet from oven and place pie on top. Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 375° and continue baking until crust is deeply golden and filling is bubbling, 45 minutes more. Let cool before slicing.